336 million forced abortions are enough: Littlejohn files UN complaint over China’s one-child policy
BY BEN JOHNSON
Women’s Rights Without Frontiers, of which she is president, filed a “Complaint Concerning Coercive Population Control” with the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW) today.
The document cites the “Agreed Conclusions” from the UNCSW’s recent meeting in March, in which the world body vowed to “condemn and take action to prevent violence against women and girls in health-care settings, including…forced medical procedures,” specifically including “forced sterilization, forced abortion, and forced use of contraceptives.”
“The Chinese government,” Littlejohn wrote, “is the major perpetrator in the world of ‘forced medical procedures’ of the kind set forth in the UNCSW Agreed Conclusions.”
China, which boasts of preventing 400 million births since instituting the coercive population control policy in 1979, continues to forcibly sterilize women who have had one child (or in rare cases, two), and to abort any children beyond the government-prescribed limit, in defiance of international human rights norms.
Littlejohn recounts 13 incidents since the beginning of this year alone, including:
- In February, Family Planning officials ran over a 13-month-old child, the family’s third, after getting into an argument with the family;
- In March, 42-year-old Yang Yuzhi committed suicide after enduring two forced sterilizations that went wrong, leaving her in excruciating pain;
- On May 23, 26-year-old pregnant mother Zhang Yinping died after a forced abortion that occurred six months into her pregnancy;
- Just two days later, a 22-year-old woman gave birth to “Baby 59” and “accidentally” flushed the child down the toilet. The fact that the single mother did not have a birth permit is believed to have played a role in the “accident”; and
- In July, Family Planning officials reportedly broke one of Li Fengfei’s teeth, forced her to give “consent” to a forced abortion, and left her in critical condition after her abortion at 18 weeks.
“Forced abortion is official government rape,” Littlejohn wrote.
She added that, due to the sexual imbalance created through sex-selective abortions that favor male children, China ranks as a Tier-3 nation on the State Department’s Trafficking in Persons or TIP Report.
In addition to demanding that Beijing answer for its population policies, Littlejohn asked the world body to investigate its own UN Population Fund (UNFPA) for complicity in the one-child policy.
Click “like” if you want to end abortion!